Research Capstone Projects
For students in the MS program, the culminating experience is the Research Capstone Series 1-3 (ECS177-179). The Research Capstone Project provides students with an opportunity to apply the principles and skills learned in the classroom by creating a submission-ready proposal for a research grant to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Note: Students with a well-developed research question or strong research background may move beyond the proposal stage to undertake a research project.
For past graduating classes, research capstone projects included:
- Prescription Opioids in the United States: An Analysis and Independent Report
- Evaluating the Effect of Shared Decision Making Tools for Patients with Multivessel Coronary Disease.
- Medically Unnecessary: Implementation of the CMS “2 Midnight Rule”
- An epidemiological model to estimate unwarranted variation in pediatric care
- Cost differences in early versus delayed removal of surgical bandages
- Comparing the efficacy of Computerized Integrated Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with usual care for OEF/OIF Veterans with co-occurring posttraumatic stress and substance use disorders: A randomized controlled trial
- Motivating change: Key factors influencing ACO adoption and differences by payer type
- The effect of high-protein energy supplementation on disease progression among non-malnourished HIV-infected children 6-60 months in resource limited settings, a multisite randomized-controlled trial proposal
- Does the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act make health care more affordable?
- Identifying Risk Factors for Injurious Falls in the Inpatient Setting
- AAV2-GAD Subthalamic Nucleus Injections in Advanced Parkinson’s Disease Cases: A Phase III Trial
- Finger Rings: Impact On Surgical Site Infections
- Primary Care Management of Incidental Findings Detected on Advanced Diagnostic Imaging: The role of vague and ambiguous language
- Does an employee wellness program that offers health coaching improve employee wellness significantly more than similar employee wellness programs not offering health coaching?
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Controlled Trial of Lactated Ringer’s Solution vs. Normal Saline for Treating Acute Pancreatitis
- The Effect of Screening for Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip on Functional Outcomes
- Patients' Preferences for Understanding Healthcare Costs
- Cost-effectiveness Analysis of a Hepatitis Screening and Referral Intervention for persons with Mental Illness
- Shared decision making among surrogate decision makers for ICU patients on prolonged mechanical ventilation
- Predicting Non-relapse Related Readmission after Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Effect of Music on Neonates in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Epidemiology of Anti-Neuronal Autoimmune Encephalitides among Patients With DSM-IV Axis I Psychotic Disorders: A Multi-Center Prospective Cohort Study
- Integrating Human Case Point Analysis And Entomologic Survey Data In GIS To Establish A Near Real-Time Dengue Surveillance System In Puerto Rico
- Effects of Music Therapy on Patients with Stage 1 Hypertension
- Is the Use of Tablet Computers Feasible in Reducing Social Isolation for Rural Older Adults?
- Case Manager-based Medication Adjustments: Improving Outcomes for People with Diabetes
- Shared decision-making in black diabetic patients with white physicians: a cluster randomized controlled trial
- An Improved Diagnostic Procedure for Alzheimer’s Disease
- Cost-effectiveness of Shared Decision Making in Total Knee Replacement